Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Reading 4: Layering and Seperation

This chapter talked a lot about a concept called 1+1=3 or more. After the initial reading of the definition, I soon forgot what it meant and by the end of the chapter I think I still fared pretty well without knowing what it meant. Well, after looking back to the first page I think I can conclude that 1+1=3 or more, means that when you combine two design elements, you can unintentionally create one or more extra elements wanted or not. (Correct me if I'm wrong about that definition cause Tufte never seems to have direct definitions.)

Tufte goes a lot into what is "chart junk" I suppose and how to clearly define data without bringing emphasis to the wrong data. For example, the image of the musical notes on page 59. Using thinner lines rather than thicker lines, it takes the emphasis away from the lines and onto the music notes.

Simple alterations can make a design a whole lot better.

No comments:

Post a Comment