Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Reading 2: Escaping Flatland

Originally I thought this chapter was about escaping flatland by creating more dimensions, however I think it goes a bit deeper than that from what I understand.

According to Tuft, information design is made beautiful by detail used (such as in maps) and bountiful amounts of data. I can agree with his view. Information escapes the flatland of dullness for me by catching my attention and making me want to know what a chart or map can tell me. Clarity is also an issue. Though it may catch my attention at first glance, if it's a jumble of data forced into my face I will not hesitate to pass it by.

I loved the images of the sunspot paths (pg 21). Very beautiful design with plenty of scholarly looking data marks(Italian?). The creator of the sunspot path Christopher Scheiner created an innovative solution to viewing sunspots on a flatland in a three dimensional plane.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you with your input. The designs shows in this chapter are simply beautiful. Although with all the details and information on them they are a bit difficult to read and understand. Clarity is in fact the most important issue when it comes to making an kind of design. The viewer must know and understand what they are looking at.

    ReplyDelete